What is Hypnobirthing?
Hypnosis is a procedure involving cognitive processes (like imagination) in which someone is guided by a hypnotherapist, to respond to suggestions for changes in sensations, perceptions, thoughts, feelings, and behaviours.
Hypnobirthing (or birth hypnosis) is a term used to describe the use of self-hypnosis during pregnancy and childbirth, using suggestions of comfort and calm to create a relaxing birthing environment and increase changes of a positive birth outcome. Hypnobirthing can also be used to alleviate any stress or tension before the birth and resolve any ongoing fears of parenting or birth for parents. Hypnosis can alter and eliminate the psychological experience of pain and also the brain’s neurophysiological processing of pain, making birthing less painful or even pain free.
Why is Birth ROCKS Hypnobirthing unique?
Birth ROCKS Hypnobirthing is the only tailor made birth hypnosis programme which determines wether you as an individual, will be susceptible to hypnosis i.e. we used simple tests to determine if birth hypnosis is the best choice of comfort technique for you during birth. Then we start creating your bespoke birth plan. If we don’t believe hypnobirthing will work for you, we will let you know at the start. Hypnotic suggestibility is the general tendency to respond to hypnotic suggestions and can be measured with scales typically consisting of a hypnotic induction and a series of test suggestions and also looking at preferred coping styles.
We are realistic about birth outcomes and can give you an overview of your personal coping style ,so that we can create a bespoke programme just for you. We don’t agree with the ‘one size fits all’ approach to childbirth and believe that every mother and child are different and should be respected as such. We are completely honest with your clients and if we don’t believe hypnosis will be the best comfort technique for you, we will let you know.
- Hypnobirthing does NOT work for all women and should not be promoted as a cure all;
- By defining your coping style and also hypnotic suggestability, we can help to determine how effective it will be for YOUR birth!
- If your results indicate hynobirthing is not the best option for you, then we will create a bespoke Birth ROCKS plan for you using our extensive range of other birthing tools better suited to YOU.
Read about Catherine Tyldsley (Eva from Coronation Street) talking about her Birth ROCKS sessions in HELLO! Magazine
Common myths about hypnosis
- People in hypnosis lose control and can be made to say or do whatever the hypnotist wants.
- People may not be able to come out of hypnosis.
- Hypnosis only affects weak-willed or gullible people.
- Hypnosis reliably enhances the accuracy of memory.
- Hypnosis enables people to re-experience a past life.
- Hypnosis depends primarily on the skill of the hypnotist.
NONE OF THESE ARE TRUE! With Birth ROCKS HypnoBirthing (and in fact all hypnosis), you are aware of what is going on around you but you are able to focus and concentrate deeply and tune out any distractions.
Is hypnobirthing safe?
Hypnobirthing is 100% safe and does not put you into a trance. TV and films often portray hypnosis as something scary with people doing things against their will. This is absolutely not true and you will be in complete control and aware of what is happening at all times.